Recipe of the Month
"Lentil and Walnut Salad"
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, picked over and washed
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup chopped scallions
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp dry mustard or 1 heaped tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 to 5 tbsp red-wine vinegar, to taste
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine lentils with water and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium-low, cover pan tightly, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked through but firm enough to hold shape.
- When lentils are done, remove from heat, drain, and place in bowl along with scallions, red pepper, parsley, and walnuts
- In separate small bowl, combine mustard with vinegar, beating in a little at a time until thoroughly blended. Gradually beat in olive oil. Pour dressing over lentils and toss to mix thoroughly. Add salt and black pepper and serve as is or on bed of bitter greens such as arugula, chicory, or dandelion greens.
(serves 4 to 6)
Recipe source: “The Mediteranean Diet: A better way to eat?”
Consumer Reports on Health, Nov94 Vol.6 No.11
Women's Stories |
Press Releases |
Back to top
Disclaimer | Donate Now | Contact Us | Site Map | Store
©1999-2000; updates: 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007 Women's Heart Foundation, Inc. All rights reserved.
Unauthorized use prohibited. The information contained in this Women's
Heart Foundation (WHF) Web site is not a substitute for medical advice or
treatment, and WHF recommends consultation with your doctor or health care